Wondering what is this Fight-o-Nutrient!
We have heard of macro-nutrients and micro-nutrients. What are these fighto-nutrients? Well, apart from all the proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals there are a new found group of nutrients called as phyto-nutrients or phytochemicals. They are known to promote health and protect us from various diseases.
Let us discuss some of the phyto-nutrients which are commonly found in nature. These nutrients are known to protect us against cancer, heart disease and age related macular degeneration. They are involved in many processes including ones that help prevent cell damage, cancer cell replication, and decrease cholesterol levels.
- Carotenoids – Commonly found in green leafy vegetables, yellow and orange colored vegetables like carrots, pumpkin, and tomato. Found in fruits like guava, watermelon, peaches, apricots etc.
- Flavonoids – Commonly found in onion, tea, wine, dark chocolate and most of the berries like strawberries, raspberries, blueberries etc.
- Iso flavones - Mostly available in soya beans and soya products
- Lignans – Commonly found in whole grains and berries, known to protect against colon cancer.
- Phytosterols – Found mostly in plants especially in green and yellow vegetables. They help to regulate cholesterol level in the body by blocking the absorption of dietary cholesterol and helping to excrete it from the body.
Fruits, vegetables and whole grains are the main source of such a wonderful life enhancing phyto-nutrients. Hence, it is imperative to have 75% of our dietary requirements met through these three food groups.
With such a wonderful disease fighting qualities, it is not wrong to call them Fight-o-Nutrients J