As we know, physical exercise done at a high heart rate is imperative on a daily basis. This flushes out toxins, improves blood/oxygen circulation and more importantly make you feel good by secretion of endorphins. This is well known and the least implemented world over!
Many times we start this activity with right intentions to continue forever. But it loses its charm and motivation to sustain within a few weeks.
Why is this problem? Globally, many surveys have been conducted to ascertain the real cause. Understanding this behavior is the key for burgeoning wellness industry.
Most of us start the exercise regime with a vengeance. We think we can recover our lost time of the past by putting in more. Hence, instead to making it fit comfortably in our routine, we force-fit it. And very soon this new guest is thrown out by the current list of well occupied terrorists!
- Some practical suggestions, which may go a long way in making physical activity a regular habit:
- Before starting get proper assessment of your physical and clinical parameters.
- Allocate a time in your routine, which is really feasible. Duration is not important in the beginning.
- Plenty of choices are available for physical activity. Treadmill/cross-trainer is not the only option. Gardening, dancing or good physical play with your kids is another fruitful option. Identify one which really engages you.
- Do not set any lofty goals or targets as an output of your hard work. Remember, perseverance will pay.
- Find a partner in your spouse or friend, who has similar approach. Mismatch in expectation of your partner can break this routine.
- Socializing your routine with people can work both ways. So you decide when you would like to leverage social pressure to keep you going.
- Every form of physical exercise is beneficial. Let it be simple walking, stretching, spot jogging or opting for stairs during office hours. Cumulative walks of 2-3 km by choice during office hours are also helpful.
- Use pedometer or mobile apps on fitness, which help you to monitor, track and measure your workout.
Here is a sample practical routine for a time-constrained executive:
Morning (~15 min)
- 5 cycle of Surya Namaskar (5-6 min)
- 5 min spot jogging
- 3 min deep breathing
- Try to achieve minimum of 5,000 steps (~3 km) during work by intelligently using your feet.
Before dinner (~10 min)
- 5 cycle of Suryanamaskar (5-6 min)
- 5 min of Shava-asana
Benefits of giving space to this activity in your life far exceed the resistance. Hence, lets start what your ancestors have always done. Elevate yourself from sedentary to an active lifestyle.